The American Camellia Society
The American Camellia Society is celebrating its 74th anniversary this year. In 1945 the Society was founded in Macon, Georgia, following a conceptual meeting the previous year in Savannah, Georgia. From a humble start with headquarters in a two-room laboratory on the University of Florida Campus in Gainesville, Florida, the society moved to donated space at the Coastal Plain Experiment Station in Tifton, Georgia. In 1968, through a generous gift of 160 acres by the late Dr. Dave Strother, the Society moved to the location it now occupies, at Massee Lane Gardens in Fort Valley, Georgia.
The American Camellia Society is a national membership organization.
Since 1968, gifts to the Society have made possible a headquarters building, a library filled with the finest collection of camellia literature in the world, a residence for the garden’s horticulturist, a large landscaped greenhouse, a small research greenhouse, the Scheibert Rose Garden, the Abendroth Japanese Garden, the Helen Teeter Garden, the Stevens-Taylor Gallery, the Annabelle Lundy Fetterman Museum and Educational Building, the Brown & Hall Environment Garden, and a fine porcelain collection which includes the nation’s largest collection of Boehm porcelains open to the public.